Monday, March 17, 2014

How to Raise an Emotionally Intelligent Adult


As a youth of 13, I was faced with the very simple dilemma of whether to take band or home economics as my eighth grade elective.  Because  I had already been in band for two years, I thought it might be fun to switch it up and take home economics, so I chose the later.  However, because I had been previously very involved in the music program in my junior high, my decision was met with resistance from my band director and my principle, both whose opinion I greatly respected.  Each of them lobbied me to change my decision.  I was torn.

I knew what I wanted but I didn't want to disappoint or lose the high opinion of my adult mentors.  I became very stressed and unusually weighed down with worry about disappointing those respected adults in my life.  My emotions took over and I began to spiral down into depression.  As an inexperienced youth, I did not have the skill set to navigate through my emotions on my own.  Thankfully, my parents could see my distress and stepped in to coach me through the emotional dilemma I was facing.  They helped me calmly weigh options and put the experience in proper perspective.  Because of their support, I was able to navigate my feelings and come to a decision that was best for my own life.  

Parents play an integral role in their children's emotional lives.  Open discussions between parents and children about emotions are essential in helping children learn to recognize and also manage their emotions. During difficult situations, children watch and learn how their parents deal with a multitude of emotionally charged situations.  Through the family laboratory, children learn how to become emotionally intelligent.

In the last decade or so, science has presented an abundance of research emphasizing the importance of emotional intelligence in the formula for a successful life.  Researchers have found that even more than IQ, your emotional awareness and ability to handle feelings will determine your success and happiness in all walks of life, including family relationships.

Emotional intelligence has much to do with knowing when and how to express emotion along with controlling it.  Researchers have indicated that the home environment and parental involvement greatly contribute to the development of emotional intelligence.  Individuals raised in cohesive family structures, are more likely to develop successful attributes of emotional intelligence, develop feelings of empathy for others and adjust to the stresses of adult life.

"Family life is our first school for emotional learning, " writes Daniel Goleman, psychologist and author of Emotional Intelligence. "In this intimate cauldron we learn how to feel about ourselves and how others will react to our feelings; how to think about these feelings and what choices we have in reacting; how to read and express hopes and fears. This emotional schooling operates not just through the things parents say and do directly to children, but also in the models they offer for handling their own feelings and those that pass between husband and wife."
 


Keaten and Kelly (2008) reported that family communication patterns greatly influence emotional intelligence.  And, not only will these patterns affect the child while living under their parents roof, but will follow them into adulthood. These patterns can affect the development of emotional intelligence and, in turn, create obstacles or stepping stones in other areas of life including social, academic and business settings.

Children who experience family communication patterns in which expression of feelings are discouraged may not develop the necessary coping skills to address negative emotions such as fear and stress.  On the flip side, families that  do engage with one another, share feelings, experiences, and thoughts with each other, and value open exchange of ideas will fair better in emotional laden situations.  Families with good communication patterns tend to raise children who have higher levels of emotional intelligence and are able to recognize, understand, and manage emotions.

Parents and other adult mentors can serve as emotional coaches.   Kids with  parents or other mentors who practice emotional coaching tend to perform better academically and seem to fare better socially. Keaten and Kelly (2008) report that  "Children who learn emotional intelligence skills are more likely to be accepted by their peers because they possess the 'emotional responsiveness and self-control needed to relate to other children."

As a parent or other mentor in your child's life you can engage in proper emotional coaching in the following ways:
  1. Allow children to ask questions. Children learn by engaging in the world around them.  If children come to expect negativity as they ask questions, they become reticent, limiting their emotional expressiveness and hindering future emotional development. 
  2. Allow children to talk about emotions. It is essential to create an environment where children can express themselves and talk about their own experiences.  Without this opportunity,  they will not know how to properly recognize or manage their own emotions when they engage in the world outside of the home environment.
  3. Help children navigate a variety of emotionally laden situations.  Instead of telling a child how they should feel or how they should react in a given situation, it is important to help them learn how to become emotionally intelligent  in a safe home laboratory.  As children learn healthy communication behaviors and skills in this environment, they will become better equipped with the emotional tools to deal with real world situations that they will ultimately face as they grow and mature.
  4. Model emotionally intelligent behavior.  Being an example is the best way to influence children to become emotionally intelligent adults.                                                                                       
As we teach children these skills, they will become more self aware, perceptive of the needs of others, self managing and able to navigate stressful situations.  Learning these various aspects of emotional intelligence will help children grow into well adjusted, healthy adults. Overall, higher emotional intelligence can improve the life of your child mentally, physically and socially and will increase their opportunities for success as they navigate social situations, work, and intimate and family relationships.

Works cited:

Keaton J., & Kelly L. (2008). Emotional Intelligence as a Mediator of Family Communication Patterns and Reticence. Communication Reports, 21, 104-114.

Bhatia, Gunjan (2012). A Study of Family Relationship in relation to emotional intelligence of the students of secondary level. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, p 1-5.


8 comments:

  1. -I like your personal introduction. It makes me think I should start doing more personal introductions to my own blog. Something about a "real story" just draws me in.
    -Things got a little repetitive for me in the middle. I think the way through this is that once you've made your claim ("family is the foundation of emotional intelligence") that you spend the remainder of your space providing concrete examples and other evidence rather than repeating the point (as important as it may be!)
    -Quick question: Was the list of 4 ways to engage in emotional coaching yours, or was that from one of your sources? Might want to clarify that a bit.
    -Great blog topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dr. Reeder,

      Thanks for your comments! I agree that the article may have gotten a little bogged down in the middle. I will work on tightening up my claims and using more examples. The coaching tips were based on research from my sources, but I came up with the four categories listed on this blog post. Thanks for the feedback ... it has been a great topic and one that I have done a lot of self reflection and assessment on how I can be better. I have had many opportunities in a variety of emotionally charged situations, asking how an emotionally intelligent person would handle the situation. It has been amazing to see the results. Who knew that in the simple act of asking the question, how quickly you can turn things around! I have found myself more relaxed and better able to change behavior in a positive direction in just a matter of minutes. The more I study the subject of emotional intelligence, the more convinced I am of the necessity of helping others learn the skills to become more aware and better able to manage ones emotions. I agree with the research that emotional intelligence is a decisive factor in achieving success in all areas of life including work , family and love relationships. Thanks again for your feedback!

      Delete
  2. One of the keys you mention is how the best way to teach emotional intelligence is to by example. I like this. What this really means to me is that to teach emotional intelligence, we need to "be" emotionally intelligent. So where this blog post focuses on why it matters to be emotionally intelligent, you might also explore ways of how we become more emotionally intelligent as adults. Because that sounds like its part of the problem. You point out the need for parents to teach their children--this is the best place to be taught. Agreed. So the problem is we are not emotionally intelligent or aware as adults (generally). Love the lay out and the pics. Makes me realize how spartan mine is. I'll have to correct that for the next blog. There was some repetitiveness in there that could be made more lean and mean. Otherwise, I liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey eddie, I appreciate your comments. This topic of emotional intelligence is so big that I have decided to break it down into bite size pieces. This blog was written in response to much of my research which suggests that we could save ourselves a lot of societal grief if we were better at teaching the younger generation when it has the most lasting effect. However, you are right on the money about needing to be emotionally intelligent in order to teach emotional intelligence. And, the good news is, the research I have found suggests that emotional intelligence can be learned as an adult. My next few articles will begin addressing how adults can learn to be emotionally intelligent through skills that emphasize self awareness, self motivation, awareness of emotion in others and the art of handling personal relationships by building necessary social skills. It has been a fun topic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marshelia –

    I like how your blog intro is a personal example that most of us can relate to. Although my choices were not between band and home ec, I had to choose between sports and a lot of other things. I can resonate with the stress of making decisions that affect your life especially as a young age and how parents are there to help and guide that emotional decision making. I like the multiple connections to emotional intelligence and family life – how family life is emotional schooling. If a child doesn’t have a strong family life or influences do you think that they can still learn to manage their emotions appropriately? If so, where do you think this secondary influence can come from? It seems like an overlooked connection, but I can see personally and academically how it can play a major role.

    I like how you clarify that emotional intelligence is equally dependent upon knowing how to express emption as well as control it. I find controlling it can be a problem for me sometimes. Do you think that if a person doesn’t have a high level of emotional intelligence, it negatively affects their personal and professional lives since controlling emotions can involve both areas? I also like how you add the 4 steps to engage your child in emotional coaching. Have you found research on children who don’t respond well to these methods? Or respond better to alternative methods? Could emotional intelligence depend on whether a child is an introvert or extrovert?

    Great work, I really enjoyed the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kinzi! I do believe that there is hope for those that were not schooled in emotional intelligence during their childhood. In fact, much of the research I have done has pointed to the fact that adults can learn emotional coping skills through various training programs and with that training, can improve their emotional intelligence. The biggest hurdle is getting the adult to recognize their deficiencies and have a desire to change. Many people believe that others should accept them for who they are and not expect them to change. An individual can only improve if they WANT to learn the skills necessary for change.

    I do believe that the ability to control and express emotions properly is crucial to our success in life. But, again, it is good to note, that with training, we do have the ability to change behavior. However, the research shows that adults do better if they have repeat training to remind them of the skills they have learned. Otherwise, people tend to go back to their original behaviors.

    As far a working with children is concerned, the trick is realizing that each child is different and the methods need to be tailored to the child's individual style. Emotionally intelligent adults understand that ... so to Eddie's point ... I think we need to get our adults trained! Thanks for the great comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marsheila~

    Like the others, I appreciate your personal story and perspective. As you are giving advice to your readers, it helps to show your vulnerabilities and insecurities so that they trust you as worthy of attention. Wonderful job doing this and still sounding like an expert.

    My only critique lies in the list you used at the end. It is easy to understand, but I just don't feel as though it gives us the concrete ideas to reach children that you were intending. For instance, number 4 says to model emotionally intelligent behavior but doesn't follow up with techniques to manage those times when we struggle with being emotionally intelligent. Also, the first few suggestions say to allow children to talk about and express their emotions. What do those of us out there who's children do not naturally open up do? How do we encourage or begin the conversation with them? I'm not sure if this is something you will cover in future posts, or if there are even ideas in the research to help with this, but I feel like you need just a little more here. (or maybe its just me since you have sparked my curiosity to learn more about this now!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comments Samantha. I agree that these tips need to be fleshed out. There is much more research, but very little room in this blog to cover everything. I like your idea of devoting additional posts to these issues. I think the problems are more complex than I described and take much more self control and self awareness than I may have alluded to. I love your question about what do we do when we are struggling ourselves with being emotionally intelligent. THis is a situation we all find ourselves in. However, the research would suggest that we train ourselves to put ourselves in time out ... not physically .... but learn to mentally step away from emotionally charged situations if but for a moment to pull ourselves together and think through our response. One of the researchers suggested that we concentrate on that feeling of stress and discomfort in the pit of our stomach ... really think about it ... by so doing ... we are reminded that the feeling is not good, giving us the where with all to think about our response and be more deliberate in our actions.

    Thanks for your feedback!

    ReplyDelete